Mary Ann Sutton is the current Prothonotary for Berks County. She is 73 years old and even though she claims to have implemented the software purchased by the tax payers of Berks County for streamlining the document management that is required by the Prothonotary’s office, she doesn’t take full advantage of this software. It’s time for her to retire and enjoy her thirteen grandchildren and her Social Security. We need a person with leadership and computer skills that will save the tax payer’s money by fully implementing the software purchased by Berks County. Not someone that is more interested in decorating her office for the holidays than learning new skills that would save Berks County money. Sutton needs to hire consultants to do the work that she and her staff should be doing. That’s not efficiency nor is that cost effective.
Now this isn’t illegal, but, it is questionable. If you visit the Berks County Republican Committee website and click on Maryann Sutton’s name you get a link to her email account (firstname.lastname@example.org), the one that is paid for by the tax payers of Berks County. How much “party politics” does Maryann Sutton do on the tax payers time when she should be working for us instead?
Nicholas Bybel, 76 years old, is trying to make a comeback as Coroner for Berks County. He made a statement to the Pottstown Mercury saying that he was going to fire employees if he gets elected and hire medical staff to do the coroner assistant work. Berks County was sued for this very reason before, must we visit this again? Bybel lost the primary 4 years ago to an unknown lawyer because Berk’s County tax payers had enough of covering all the lawsuits that Bybel had incurred against the Coroner’s Office. He lied by making a false statement regarding endorsements (see previous post). Besides, he too, should be enjoying his retirement and stop wanting the Berks County tax payers to raise his standard of living. Our current Coroner is doing an excellent job. He has NOT incurred any lawsuits because he does his job. We had Bybel once and that was enough. Say “bye, bye to Bybel”.
Nelson Long, 70 years old, is the “youngster” running on the Republican ticket. His position as Treasurer leaves many questions such as:
1. Why does he repeatedly refuse to allow scutiny of the County Record Improvement Fund by Internal Audit?
2. How does he justify expenditures for furniture, appliances and trips using Record Improvement Money?
3. Why does he risk losing money in the Berks County pension fund by recommending that the County invest 8% of these funds in junk bonds? (Can anyone say ‘derivatives’?)
4. Why did he try to hide the fact that he failed to include the cost of outsourcing work for the Tax Claim office to his campaign Chair by claiming that he saved money when in fact he didn’t?
5. How does he explain two huge losses of pension fund assets in excess of $50 million (ouch) in the past ten years that he oversaw?
6. Why does he ignore repeated recommendations of the PA Auditor General to provide proper checks and balances over the handling of cash? (from audit reports for periods ended 2002 and 2006).
7. Is he too computer illiterate to implement the Cash Management portion of the County’s new computer system that was paid for by the tax payers?
WHAT IS NELSON LONG HIDING FROM THE TAX PAYERS OF BERKS COUNTY? INSTEAD OF TRASHING HIS OPPONENT WITH LIES, HE HAS EXPLAINING TO DO REGARDING HIS MANAGEMENT OF BERKS COUNTY FUNDS.
It time for him to retire, also. We need someone that is willing to use the Record Improvement Fund for its intended purpose as is done in other counties. Berks County is way behind the times and it is costing the County money. We need someone that can implement the proper checks and balances to safeguard Berks County assets. So far, Nelson Long has failed in protecting Berks County assets. We can’t afford to trust him with our money any longer.